Don’t train them yet!
That might seem strange for a sales training company to say, but we want to remind you that there is significantly more to growing a business than running around aimlessly, talking to whatever random strangers you might happen to bump into.
Making the most of your opportunities isn’t just about the skills of your sales people. Often it’s the systems and processes your sales people use (or don’t use) that is the weakest link in the chain.
It’s cause and effect, we see the effect (lack of sales), and assume that lack of sales skill is the cause. But, when you’re talking about the growth of your business, feeding your family and the families of everyone else that is relying on you, should you assume anything? Isn’t it best to be sure?
Getting to the root cause of your lack of growth is simpler than you might think, here are a few key questions to ask to point you in the right direction.
- Do opportunities get mentioned and then fall off the edge of the earth, never to be discussed again?
- Do you seem to be re-treading the same ground over and over again in your sales meetings?
- Are you unsure what your internal and external sales people are doing?
- Do you spend more time generating and interpreting management reports than any other task?
- Or, equally worryingly, do you not have them at all?
If the answer to even one of these questions is ‘yes’ then the growth of your business is being impacted on. Now that you’re getting to the root cause of your growth issues you can make informed choices about how to move forward, rather than knee jerk reactions.